search path redux - if office 2007 always uses a private riched20, why does wine interpose its own global one?

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Fri Oct 16 22:10:05 CDT 2009

I think we never pursued the question Dan posed in this subject line.

That is, Powerpoint 2007 makes the following call:
Call KERNEL32.LoadLibraryA(0033c0a8 "C:\\Program Files\\Common
Files\\Microsoft Shared\\office12\\riched20.dll")

It's clearly trying to load it's private dll.  Instead of loading that
private copy, we
load the builtin riched20 instead.  The builtin isn't 'good enough', and
Powerpoint fails.
Isn't that wrong?  Shouldn't we prefer an explicitly referenced native
dll to a builtin,
even in builtin,native load order?

The attached proof of concept patch allows Powerpoint to display the
troubled
presentation.

If I am on the right track, does it make sense to add a conformance test
to create a bare bones %TEMP%\riched20.dll and load it?

Cheers,

Jeremy