search path redux - if office 2007 always uses a private riched20, why does wine interpose its own global one?

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Sat Oct 17 11:35:53 CDT 2009

Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> writes:

> Dan Kegel wrote:
>> I think your approach is peachy, but Alexandre wanted a version
>> check; look at his most recent post in this thread:
>>
> Alexandre wanted a version check when asked a different question.
> That question
> was when would we prefer an available native Richedit over the builtin one.
> (i.e. in the LoadLibrary("riched20") case).
>
> I think if we get a loadlibrary on an explicit private path, we should load
> that dll natively, even if we have a builtin dll of the same name.

No, you don't want that. There are cases of apps shipping with their own
copy of system dlls, and using native in that case is wrong. It's only
for apps having a non-standard version of a system dll that we may want
to use native. In general we should always err on the side of using
builtin.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org