libsmbclient and wine?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Oct 23 15:26:49 CDT 2009

Hi folks,
it's often been said that wine can't use libsmbclient because
of license problems.   I'd like to look at that assumption a bit.

- What would wine like to use libsmbclient for, if it could?

- Would it suffice to just link it in to wineserver, or would
it need to be invoked directly by all sorts of dlls?

- Would we just use the system's libsmbclient (I hope so)
rather than trying to import its source?

Also, fwiw, I think the Samba guys are willing to multiplex
their listening daemon so Wine could handle incoming
named pipe requests if we want to.

Thanks,
Dan