Another virus-in-wine story

Nicholas LaRoche nlaroche at vt.edu
Sun Oct 25 00:47:51 CDT 2009

Dan Kegel wrote:
> This is about the fifth article of this sort, so it's not really news
> anymore, but it's still fun to read about.
>
> TFA is clueless about how to clean up a wine
> installation (he thought uninstalling wine would do it),
> buts lots of readers supply the missing clue.
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/10/24/1759213/Now-Linux-Can-Get-Viruses-Via-Wine

A few months ago there was a topic in wine-devel on the same subject. A
toggle switch for portions of the wine API (i.e. networking),
WINEPREFIX, and SELinux seems to make this a non-issue.

The default wine SELinux configuration for Fedora 11 denies quite a bit
of behavior. (Try compiling and using HEAD without setting the security
context or entering permissive mode and you'll see what I mean).

Does this even need to be handled at the wine level to prevent
system-wide corruption? It seems like other security technologies
already provide this protection.

-Nick