Working on "DOS" VGA.

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at
Thu Apr 1 13:20:29 CDT 2010

* On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Am 01.04.2010 um 11:24 schrieb Roderick Colenbrander:
> > Myself I'm a bit worried about whether we should improve our DOS
> > support even further. The problem is that more and more people are
> > moving over to 64-bit Linux. While you can run 32-bit programs on a
> > 64-bit system, there is no protected mode support (vm86; there is
> > emulation in some cases using a kernel module).
> There's protected mode 32 bit, protected mode 16 bit, but no vm86 16
> bit. So no real mode apps in Wine. We'd need to integrate a CPU emulator
> or JIT compiler into Wine to get this working.

DOSBox does something like this already.  I lack ideas about to what
extent DOSBox could be integrated, but at least its CPU emulator could do.
Or maybe DOSBox could even be bridged/integrated and do all the DOS stuff

Then IIRC there were discussions in the past about integrating Qemu into
Wine.  Some folks at Darwine have achieved this to some degree: [1]

That probably won't fly directly [2] but some aspects of the design of an
emulator integration can be investigated already, IMHO.