Working on "DOS" VGA.

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 09:21:26 CDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM, k4king <k.king177 at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> how seamless could the integration be made?
> I've seen a number of programs (mainly installers) and also guilty of
> writing a few win apps that shell out a dos call and return to continue.

The command prompt in windows works similar to DOS but it is not DOS.
Things which invoke our command prompt should still work (well, win9x
/ nt4.0 stuff might depend on real DOS stuff though).

> Also while wine seems to encourage a spread of apps to work, the core DosBox
> guys have made it clear they are only interested retro games. So dosemu or a
> qemu/bochs co-operation may be more fruitful.

Dosbox is available for all platforms and is relatively light. While
they focus mostly on games, they aren't against general fixes. Dosemu
is Linux specific but qemu/bochs would also be possible. Personally
I'm in favor of Dosbox.

Roderick