[GSOC] dshow/gst branch rebased and commented

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 03:45:23 CDT 2010

Hi all,

  I took some time this morning to rebase tdavenport's gst/dshow branch
against current master and added my comments/reviews in the last commit.

  The branch can be found here :
http://github.com/bilboed/wine/tree/tdaven-rebased

  I'm putting this out so that if any student is interested, he could
carry on this work during GSOC.

  The current status is that using gstreamer as a backend for dshow has
been proven to work within a very limited use-case.

  What remains:
  * Making it more efficient, flexible and lightweight (see all my
comments)
  * Allowing it to automatically pick up whatever GStreamer element is
available on the system and make it available through dshow.

  A good goal for example would be to make the various audio/video
gstreamer sinks available through dshow (for example picking up the
pulse sink), and the various audio/video decoders.
  Having it working with a native windows application (pick a player or
an audio/video app using dshow) would be a must.

  Don't hesitate to ask questions/comments,

    Edward