Participation in GSoC

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 07:46:59 CDT 2010

Hi Alexander,

Good to see you back in GSoc. I can't comment on IE / control panel as
I don't know much about it but I will comment to another small part.

> As for my own project ideas, I think it would have been interesting to
> implement IPX over TCP in winsock, since most of the games that use IPX
> require root access for it to work. This feature could perhaps be enabled in
> winecfg or the Control Panel. I don't have any experience with networkking,
> though, so I'm concerned that this might be a bit amibitous.

It should be possible to implement IPX over TCP but when you do this,
the other side also needs to wrap IPX in a TCP packet.  (there are
various user space tools I believe which can do this). IPX can be used
without root permissions if you use posix file capabilities to enable
raw sockets on wineserver. I experimented with this a long time ago
and I wasn't able to get it working at that time but this should
somehow work.

Roderick