Detecting patch sets

Greg Geldorp ggeldorp at vmware.com
Tue Apr 13 05:52:30 CDT 2010

Hi Sven,

> From: Sven Baars
>
> you could, instead of only checking for the author, also try to check
> for the maximum amount of patches. If you find patch [Patch 1/7], I
> assume you currently wait for all 7 patches. Now if a patch 1/3 comes in
> between, you'll see that the maximum is different, in this case 3, so
> you'll know that it's a different patch-set.

I thought about that, but the drawback is that a new patch set is started
if the submitter mistypes the maximum (e.g. [1/4], [2/4], [3/5], [4/4]). In
that case we end up with two incomplete sets.
I've also considered taking the DLL name into account if available (most
people will include the DLL name in their Subject), but there are valid
patch sets spanning multiple DLLs (e.g. 1/3 d3d9: ..., 2/3 wined3d: ...,
3/3 wined3d: ...) so that won't work either.
I'll probably go back to using author + maximum as the key and perhaps
build a UI so an author can manually select patches belonging to a set
and put them in the right order. Then when a set still appears incomplete
after a couple of hours a reminder email could be sent to the author asking
him to manually group his patches.

> In case the maximum is also the same, it's also difficult for a human to
> see what patch belongs to what patch-set, so that should never happen in
> the first place. Unless AJ is a psychic of course.

He is ;-)

Ge.