HLSL Compiler and d3dcompiler_xx.dll

Matijn Woudt tijnema at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 10:19:24 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Roderick Colenbrander
<thunderbird2k at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Matijn Woudt <tijnema at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yep, I recommend using Mattheo's code if possible. He has rebased my old code and fixed a bunch of issues. Beyond that, my compiler is fairly minimalistic. I think it supports most features except arrays(needs loop unrolling support). However, the optimizer is fairly simplistic. For better optimizations you may want to investigate SSA transformations and related stuff. I guess perfect optimization isn't a requirement for a first version though.
>>
>> First thing would probably be cleaning up and getting something minimal past AJ.
>>

>>> Just in case my git tree is here: http://84.112.174.163/~stefan/wine/ . It's not online all the time, and I am not guaranted a fixed IP(although it hasn't changed in years), so check it out as long as you can if you need it.
>>>

>> Am I supposed to find your compiler code there? It seems like a git
>> tree of ages ago (where d3dx9_36 only contains math and font code).
>>

> It might also make sense to explore whether compilers like LLVM (used
> a lot these days including for OpenCL implementations by Apple,
> Nvidia; and don't forget Gallium3D) and Open64 (used in Cuda) and
> others.
>
> Roderick

I have thought about using LLVM, but I don't like it because of:
1) Having another wine dependency (~40MB for me on ubuntu)
2) Code generated by LLVM will most likely not generated exactly the
same bytecode as native compiler does, even though the shader has same
effect on both. This makes it really hard to verify the HLSL compiler
is working. My idea was to make wine's hlsl compiler produce exactly
the same bytecode as native does. We might even find bugs in the
native compiler, and either fix or duplicate these bugs.

LLVM might be useful if we needed a really fast compiler, but native
compiler isn't really fast AFAIK. Once games are calling it a few
hundred times it might be worth the effort.