Benchmarking D3D?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Apr 17 18:50:58 CDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well yes, an automated performance testing system has been on the
> wined3d todo list for some time now. I even have a pretty good idea of
> how I'd want it to look and work. It's just never going to happen
> because there's always something more important.

Would it worth writing up in a wiki page (along with a description
of how to run your current tests manually)?

> The thing with benchmarks though is that for them to be of any use you
> need someone capable of interpreting the data. I guess that means the
> important question is who "we" are? I assume it's not any of the
> current main wined3d developers, since Stefan and I both obviously
> already have our set of applications we use for performance testing.

When giving a Wine demo before a skeptical audience,
it helps if a few widely used benchmarks at least run correctly.
It gives potential Wine adopters a sense of comfort.

For example, gamers might relate to the Resident Evil 5 Benchmark.
(It looks pretty good, but its frame rate is low.)
Business users might relate to Passmark.
(Passmark 7 is pretty close to running, just needs gdiplus
to get around one missing function.
Its jet fighter test has some rendering issues, though.
And it has a 64 bit version which might be fun to try.)
- Dan