kernel32: First try on creating a framework for DOS testing

Morten Rønne morten.roenne at tdcadsl.dk
Mon Apr 26 07:26:08 CDT 2010

Hi

Since nobody at the moment can point to any other way of testing DOS, I
have chosen to continue with the assembler path.

Included is my first try at creating a 32 bit program which can run a 16
bit program (as .com file) written in assembler.

Notes about about the changes:
I have changed configure.ac to look for nasm (the compiler I have chosen
to use).
If no nasm is found, a notice is output saying what you wont get.
I have changed Make.rules.in to include .asm and .com suffixes so the
auto rules work.
I have added rules to Makefile.in in dlls/kernel32/tests/Makefile.in to
compile the assembler.
The code is not compiled automatically for now. You need to do make asm
in the test directory.
The test program will silently ignore missing programs, so if no
compiled programs exists, no tests is run.

All in all this change should make no change for people that doesn't
have nasm installed.

I have added one simple assembler program which test some basic parts of
int 21h.

Things that are missing:
The program can't at the moment show unexpected succes in any test.
The test will simply pass as working, instead of todo.

How does it work:
The .com program is expected to output a file called test.rep.
The first letter of the line, tells the outcome of the test:
   w - Working
   t - Todo
   e - Error (It should have worked but failed, regression failure)
The rest of line is any message that will be output in case of failure.

Limitations:
Since the test program doesn't run the tests directly line numbers from
the test program is quite useless.
I don't know how Martin (wine-testbot) will have it with these changes.
I haven't completely figured out how a cross test is done from the wine
enviroment, so things needed for windows might be missing.

I only have an Windows XP, so that is all that has been tested with the
program (direct run, not using test framework).
This will fail on other platforms until I get all known versions number
added to the list of known versions.

Since this is a first try, and Dmitry thinks that it is the wrong
direction, I prefer to post it to wine-devel to get some initial
comments on this.

BR

Morten Rønne