New SCSI Driver for Mac OS X

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Tue Apr 27 22:09:57 CDT 2010

On 4/27/10 8:54 PM, C.W. Betts wrote:
> Excuse me, but why is this needed again? What IOCTL is missing in Mac OS X's native implementation?
Do I have to explain everything?!

All right. Here goes.

Way back in October of last year, I started a discussion on this list
about SCSI on Mac OS X:

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2009-October/079257.html

Then AJ objected to the first approach, saying that we really can't
require the disk to be unmounted. This leaves option 2.

This driver is part of an attempt to implement option 2.

In summary:
- There's no IOCTL for sending SCSI commands.
- There's an API for sending them, but it's unrealistic for Wine.
Therefore, we want to use an IOCTL, instead.
- To implement an IOCTL, we need a driver.
- This driver implements an IOCTL for sending SCSI commands.

And don't suggest the SCSITask user client. I already did (as you can
see in the linked post).

Chip