Should we expect Liberation fonts to be installed?

David Gerard dgerard at
Tue Aug 3 17:09:31 CDT 2010

On 3 August 2010 21:57, Scott Ritchie <scott at> wrote:

> This bug, for instance, prevents Photoshop from working unless there is
> an Arial font installed:
> Wine doesn't seem to respect system-level fontconfig aliases, so even
> though Liberation Sans is installed on the system Photoshop won't try to
> use it in place of Arial.

This is an excellent idea, except that the Liberation fonts are really
horrible. I've *tried* using them for general text use and they make
me want to gouge my eyes out.

Is there really no reasonable way to detect the system font settings
in GNOME or KDE? And where detection fails, a Wine control panel

- d.