The WineAPI wiki.

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Aug 4 14:15:25 CDT 2010

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Max TenEyck Woodbury wrote:
[...]
> > You have chosen not very good name. There is no such a thing as Wine API,
> > Wine implements Win32 API, and doesn't specify/add anything custom to it.
> > The name "WineAPI" implies that Wine defines its own API which is not true,
> > and is confusing.
> >
> This has been discussed elsewhere on this mailing list.
>
> There is a lot of information specific to Wine, particularly its
> internal structure, that is not shared with Microsoft's product.
> Further, there is a little confusing and incorrect information in the
> Microsoft documentation. Bluntly, the Microsoft documentation is what
> they want it to be. We need to document what it really is.

I think such documentation should be open to all projects involved in
the Win32 space such as Mingw, React OS, as well as Windows software
developpers whenever they are irritated by an MSDN deficiency.

Sure there will be differences between how each project implements a
given API, just like there are differences between the Windows 98, 2000
or Vista implementations. But I expect most of the documentation to be
common to all so that the best approach would be to describe the
reference behavior and then have notes describing the platform-specific
differences.

However calling the Wiki 'WineAPI' is not very welcoming to other
contributors and it would be a shame if each project ended up
duplicating this huge effort just because of a naming issue.

                Linux: It is now safe to turn on your computer.