CD-ROM ioctl support on MacOS?

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Thu Aug 5 13:24:05 CDT 2010

On 8/5/10 9:16 AM, Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what's the state of CD-ROM support on the Mac?
> ntdll/cdrom.c contains quite a few #ifdef apple.
I was the last one to hack on that, so I'll bite.

> I'm asking because the mcicda currently uses these ioctl:
> 1. READ_RAW
That's implemented. I implemented it myself in
6368dbbd5939bf71b04f3c441dd3af8cd027b7fb.
> 2. READ_TOC
AJ implemented that in e6ce0da2f99cc8c249a453489b9b199bec1fe435.
> 3. READ_Q -> POSITION
That might never be implemented. Like I said earlier, the
IOCDAudioControl user client was removed in Mac OS X 10.4. I might be
able to implement this using a direct SCSI call, though. Come to think
of it, I might also be able to extend my experimental BSD client to
support this.

> MCICDA could be changed to avoid the third one entirely
>  -- when using the dsound output. Would that
> be enough to use mcicda on MacOS to play music?
That might work.

> Thanks for your help,
No problem.

Chip