Should we expect Liberation fonts to be installed?

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 09:59:27 CDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
>> This might work for Linux, but these fonts are not installed on any
>> MacOSX version that I'm aware of.  This might break Wine useage for
>> Macs.  It might also break it for Solaris as well.
>
> It should only break in a way that makes it as bad as it currently is.

Macs should already have the proper fonts installed, but it might take
some config changes to use them properly.  Seems more like a packaging
issue.

Along those lines, the hard drive space is cheap on this one.  Seems
like Wine packagers could just include the fonts and install them
locally in c:\windows\fonts.  More properly, we should probably try to
detect a system installation of them since it'll probably exist and
then fall back on installing them if it doesn't.  Fonts are a pretty
big usability issue, apps really don't behave properly without them.

-Brian