X Presentation and Synchronization - will it help Wine performance

Groeschel, Volker volker.groeschel at sap.com
Tue Aug 10 08:27:31 CDT 2010

 Hi,

I wonder if Wine will profit from the new X Presentation and Synchronization feature NVIDIA is working on:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~aplattner/x-presentation-and-synchronization.pdf

According to the Phoronix article the feature is planed for X.Org Server 1.10:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODM3Ng

e.g. when I start several instances of my game with Wine on my computer (AMD X2 with Ubuntu and proprietary NVIDIA graphic drivers), performance  breaks down dramatically.

As of three instances the third windows freezes or gets near 0 FPS while the same computer with Win XP can run up to eight instances.

Many thanks for your good work which helps me to get rid of Windows in my home office ☺