DIB clarification

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Sun Aug 29 20:12:03 CDT 2010

> This could also help.  If I recall correctly, Jeremy White mentioned
> at Wineconf 2008 that this was a major reason they haven't invested
> serious energy into one themselves:  they had a hard time finding an
> application that they cared about that benefited significantly from a
> DIB engine.  Usually, bottlenecks were elsewhere.  Whether they didn't
> care about AutoCAD, or whether they hadn't tested with it, or whether
> my memory is just faulty, I'm not sure.

Yes, that's essentially right, although note that we did invest some
fairly serious energy into the DIB engine prior to coming to that conclusion.
(I remember how pleased Huw was that his benchmarks were 1000 times
faster, and how displeased he was when it made Powerpoint slower...)

That effort all went into Wine, and I hope and believe that it has
helped others as they have worked on the DIB engine.

But we don't have any secret stash of DIB engine code to further our
evil plans for world domination.  We rely on our gorgeous femme bots
and Alexandre's magic 'all' patch for that <grin>.

Cheers,

Jeremy