Use of the L prefix for wide strings in resource files

Paul Vriens paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 08:09:18 CST 2010

Hi,

Yaron just made me aware of something he and I discussed briefly a few
weeks ago.

The shlwapi resource files uses the following:

  PUSHBUTTON L"&OK", IDOK, 105, 40, 50, 14, WS_GROUP | WS_TABSTOP
  PUSHBUTTON L"&Cancel", IDCANCEL, 160, 40, 50, 14, WS_GROUP | WS_TABSTOP
  PUSHBUTTON L"&Yes", IDYES, 105, 40, 50, 14, WS_GROUP | WS_TABSTOP
  PUSHBUTTON L"&No", IDNO, 160, 40, 50, 14, WS_GROUP | WS_TABSTOP

There doesn't seem to be an issue with most of the languages as our
resource compiler seem to do things just right.

I did however see strangeness for some languages and also the not yet
submitted Hebrew translation (maybe more?):

http://source.winehq.org/transl/resource.php?branch=master&lang=011%3A01&resfile=dlls%2Fshlwapi&type=5&id=4608
http://source.winehq.org/transl/resource.php?branch=master&lang=022%3A01&resfile=dlls%2Fshlwapi&type=5&id=4608

ResHacker shows the same strangeness so it appears not only to be the
translation site.

Any idea where to start looking?

--
Cheers,