CJK default fonts for packagers to set

Aric Stewart aric at codeweavers.com
Fri Feb 5 12:06:16 CST 2010

Scott Ritchie wrote:
> My notes from Wineconf remind me that I need to create some manual links
> in the registry to whatever default CJK fonts are on the system.  Can
> someone tell me what these are supposed to look like?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie

Sure! (sorry for the delay)

The important keys are the following:
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\FontLink\SystemLink","Tahoma"

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\FontLink\SystemLink","Microsoft Sans Serif"

and
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\FontLink\SystemLink","Lucida Sans Unicode"

They are REG_SZ_MULTI type of either
"<font file ttc>:<font name>"  or "<Font file ttf>"

so for example windows sets (in inf format for Japanese Windows):

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\FontLink\SystemLink","Tahoma",0x00010002,"MSGOTHIC.TTC,MS
UI Gothic","gulim.ttc,gulim","SimSun.TTC,SimSun","mingliu.ttc,PMingLiU"

The glyphs will be found in order.  So if a glyph is missing from
Tahoma, then it tries MSGOTHIC.TTC next, if still missing gulim.ttc and
so on.  I do not have chinese windows to investigate but it may be that
the order of the fonts is different. This may not be an issue on linux.

Any other questions just ask.
thanks!
-aric