idea: display drivers

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 09:02:03 CST 2010

> Emmanuel's code is available from Sourceforge.  It is a good starting
> point for this.  If you want, send me what you have so far for testing
> purposes.  It would be great to have a native MacOSX windowing system.
>
> James McKenzie

The design of the old quartz driver is not correct. I remember that
Alexandre commented that a lot of code which was in it doesn't make
sense for a quartz driver but only for X11. Before a quartz driver can
be written we really need a dib engine. It will make writing another
driver much easier and much more code would be shared.

Thinking a few steps further I also think that at some point the
current X11 driver needs to be redesigned for modern windows version
(we would get a classic winex11 and a modern one). The modern one
would in my opinion only be responsible for creating windows, font
rendering but the rest would all be done using OpenGL. This way the
rendering code could also work on OSX and only window management stuff
would be needed.

Roderick