idea: display drivers

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 7 11:41:42 CST 2010

Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
>> Emmanuel's code is available from Sourceforge.  It is a good starting
>> point for this.  If you want, send me what you have so far for testing
>> purposes.  It would be great to have a native MacOSX windowing system.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>

> The design of the old quartz driver is not correct. I remember that
> Alexandre commented that a lot of code which was in it doesn't make
> sense for a quartz driver but only for X11. Before a quartz driver can
> be written we really need a dib engine. It will make writing another
> driver much easier and much more code would be shared.

I agree with the fact that the quartz.dll is not functionally accurate.
However, the conversation started (I think) on building a native driver
for MacOSX, which should not use an X11 code.  This is why I pointed out
the fact that it took YEARS (and I really mean this 2003-2009) to get a
native version of OpenOffice.org to function properly.  Your assessment
may be proper in that the X11 version of quartz.dll may need to be
completely redone to make this easier and to facilitate movement to
other windowing systems.
> Thinking a few steps further I also think that at some point the
> current X11 driver needs to be redesigned for modern windows version
> (we would get a classic winex11 and a modern one). The modern one
> would in my opinion only be responsible for creating windows, font
> rendering but the rest would all be done using OpenGL. This way the
> rendering code could also work on OSX and only window management stuff
> would be needed.

Correct.  But why keep the old stuff around?  It might be confusing to
the Wine beginner.

James McKenzie