Building list of great demos for Wine

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 11 16:27:26 CST 2010

On 11 February 2010 22:04, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Reece Dunn <msclrhd at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>  http://wiki.winehq.org/GreatDemos
>>
>> Dan, loads of the casual games (PopCap Games and Awem Studios
>> specifically) work out of the box without modification or winetricks.
>>
>> These tend to be impressive in terms of production (graphics, sound,
>> story), and are reviewed at jayisgame.com.
>>
>> Do these count?
>
> Well... games that can be played in web browsers don't
> really count.  If people can already run them anywhere,
> they don't need WIne for them.
>
> Otherwise, as long as they are good enough to merit a review
> from a serious site and/or a Wikipedia page, sure.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plants_vs._Zombies is an
> example of a demo that's good enough for this list,
> but only because (for some odd reason) there's no online
> version of it yet.

Note that not all of the casual games are available online, and the
ones that are have cut-down gameplay/graphics/missing voice
acting/etc.

I know that the following work well:

1.  Virtual City (http://www.awem.com/virtual-city.html)
2.  Born into Darkness (http://www.awem.com/born-into-darkness.html)
3.  Westward 4: All Aboard (http://www.awem.com/westward-iv-all-aboard.html)
4.  Trapped, The Abduction (http://www.awem.com/trapped-the-abduction.html)
5.  Virtual Families (http://www.awem.com/virtual-families.html)
6.  Aztec Tribe (http://www.awem.com/aztec-tribe.html)
7.  My Kingdom For The Princess
(http://www.awem.com/my-kingdom-for-the-princess.html)
8.  Autumns Treasures: The Jade Coin
(http://www.awem.com/autumns-treasures%3A-the-jade-coin.html)

My Kingdom for the Princess is the only one of these that I am aware
of that has a cut-down online version available.

I know that the following don't work yet:

1.  Architect: Episode 1
(http://www.awem.com/architect-episode-1.html) -- Crashes when
starting a game.
2.  Mishap: An Accidental Haunting