Game engines and wine

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Feb 14 04:39:34 CST 2010

Am 14.02.2010 um 05:26 schrieb Dan Kegel:
> The two main commercial ones with freely
> downloadable SDKs that I know about are Unity3D
> ( http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=19268 )
> and Unreal
> ( Unreal's UDK requires .net 3.5, so it can't be installed at the moment ).
There are two issues here: One is supporting the products of the game engine, and supporting the game builder itself. It's like supporting apps compiled by visual studio 2008 versus supporting Visual Studio 2008 itself.

I don't know about Unity3D, but Unreal 3 is basically working, although it is slow(in dx9, not dx10). Luckily we don't need .NET to run the games :-/

That said, supporting the build tools themselves might be useful for Wine development purposes. When I worked on the DirectX SDK samples I sometimes recompiled some samples to test a few things.