compiling for 64bit: types and format strings

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed Feb 17 07:00:43 CST 2010

Hi,

While I have no 64bit system, I recently submitted a compilation
job to WTB and saw dozens of warnings unknown to me so far,
mostly about printf format strings.  The reason for the warnings
is that WTB compiles in 64 bit mode, while I only know 32bit systems.

Is there anything us 32bit users can do to prevent such warnings
or shall we patiently wait until AJ checks in 64bit fixes?
(BTW, thank you for the recent winmm one).
Or compile every patch on WTB first?

More specifically, regarding format strings, I'm unsure
whether it's actually possible to find %d/%ld formats that work
on both systems for all types one comes across (UINT, MMRESULT etc.)
What's the receipe?

Thank you,
 Jörg Höhle