Summer of code idea: make tiny game demos to expose problems in Wine

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 07:51:09 CST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
>> I've just added
>> http://wiki.winehq.org/SummerOfCode#head-5cdc861e4369f94f0af19d09710d33d76b1f5c64
>> Current text:
>> "Big games are hard to debug.
>> Small demo games show interesting problems in Wine (see e.g.
>> http://bugs.winehq.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=3drad )
>> There are lots of tools (see http://wiki.winehq.org/GameEngines ) that
>> make developing tiny games easy
>> Let's try making the smallest possible demo games that show problems
>> in Wine, and file bugs for what we find (along with the source for the
>> games/demos)."
>
> This does not seem related to Wine to me, except in a very round-about
> way. IMHO a better way would be to improve the conformance tests as
> running them is already automated and they are even clearer about what
> is being tested.

I'm also not convinced about this project. Something better (although
I'm not sure if that would really belong in Wine either) is some sort
of performance measuring framework. In case of 3d stuff, Nvidia (and
others as well) has a tool called nvperfhud. It can provide detailed
information on how busy certain stages of the gpu are. Perhaps it is
useful to integrate something like that into Wine. Or perhaps create
something more generic e.g. some 'wrapper' around windows dlls which
we can use to profile Windows apps and Wine apps, so that we can
compare performance.

Roderick