dns-sd dll implementation -- Needs work

Gert van den Berg wine-devel at mohag.net
Tue Feb 23 13:31:02 CST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 18:57, Steven Edwards <winehacker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you really want to run the Windows version of VLC on OS X? I
> believe there is a better case to be made with Safari/Quicktime/iTunes
> as I believe they also install Bonjour services on Windows. If you
> wanted to validate/compare how the native service works verses say a
> wrapper then it would be of use.

Pidgin might be another example...

What I really meant is that it should at least be evaluated... (I
didn't realize at the time that Bonjour for Windows has a seperate
installer available...)

It might have a valid use if conflicts exist between Windows Bonjour
under Wine and native bonjour / other Zeroconf implementations...
(such as listening on the same port) (If such a confilct exists, it
should be possible to run either a ZeroConf implementation natively or
to run it under Wine, but not both. This can be problematic, since two
of Wine's largest platforms, Ubuntu and OS X installs ZeroConf
implementations by default)

(I'm not familiar enough with Bonjour / ZeroConf to really understand
which parts of it is wrapped by this DLL) (It seems that DNS Service
Discovery is able to function without mDNS)

Just a note: According to Wikipedia, Photoshop CS3 is among the
applications using Bonjour under Windows:
http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/01/cs3_doesnt_inst.html

Gert