Legal issues with wine development

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 12:32:48 CST 2010

Just to provide some reference to another project which had a similar
issue. As you likely know Android is based on Linux. Except for the
kernel which is obviously GPL, the platform uses as little (L)GPL code
as possible. Their libc implementation, Bionic, is based on BSD but
they required Linux headers but those are GPL. To work around the
license issue they created a set of scripts which processed the GPL
Linux kernel headers and strips them of all comments and it keeps only
the interface information. This way they created BSD licensed headers.

I'm not a lawyer but this option might be legal for Wine as well (if
the headers you process don't require an NDA or so). Whether we want
to use such practices for Wine is a second question but it might be an
interesting point of research.

Roderick