WINEDLLPATH and /usr/lib/wine

Michael Ost most at museresearch.com
Mon Jan 25 13:29:36 CST 2010

Hi,

I am wanting to direct wine to launch a specific APP.exe.so program by
using WINEDLLPATH during the development of APP.exe.

Unfortunately (and undocumented-ely if you know what I mean) WINEDLLPATH
is superseded by /usr/lib/wine. So if /usr/lib/wine/APP.exe.so exists,
WINEDLLPATH will find that one instead of the one I am trying to target.

So, if these files exist:
/usr/lib/wine/APP.exe.so
/MY_DIR/APP.exe.so

Then this command...
WINEDLLPATH=MY_DIR wine APP.exe
... will start /usr/lib/wine/APP.exe.so and not /MY_DIR/APP.exe.so.

Is this on purpose? It doesn't seem right at first glance. I would
assume that WINEDLLPATH would take precedence. Otherwise what purpose
would it serve?

Thanks for tips or background,
Michael Ost
Muse Research, Inc.