WINEDLLPATH and /usr/lib/wine

Michael Ost most at
Mon Jan 25 13:29:36 CST 2010

I am wanting to direct wine to launch a specific program by
using WINEDLLPATH during the development of APP.exe.

Unfortunately (and undocumented-ely if you know what I mean) WINEDLLPATH
is superseded by /usr/lib/wine. So if /usr/lib/wine/ exists,
WINEDLLPATH will find that one instead of the one I am trying to target.

So, if these files exist:

Then this command...
... will start /usr/lib/wine/ and not /MY_DIR/

Is this on purpose? It doesn't seem right at first glance. I would
assume that WINEDLLPATH would take precedence. Otherwise what purpose
would it serve?

Thanks for tips or background,
Michael Ost
Muse Research, Inc.