WINEDLLPATH and /usr/lib/wine

Michael Ost most at museresearch.com
Wed Jan 27 12:24:24 CST 2010

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Michael Ost <most at museresearch.com> writes:
>
>> I agree. And that's what your patch does, right? Would you like to
>> submit it to the wine-patches list? I think the case for it is strong,
>> especially since (1) you found that it fixes a behavior change in
>> WINEDLLPATH from November 2006 --- arguably a regression; and (2) it
>> works in the same way that LD_LIBRARY_PATH works, which is what Linux
>> programmers would expect.
>
> Actually the current way is precisely what LD_LIBRARY_PATH does for
> relocatable installs. The loader first looks in the rpath $ORIGIN path,
> then in LD_LIBRARY_PATH, then in system directories. Wine does exactly
> the same thing.

I did a quickie review of 'rpath'. It isn't standard, though, is it? I'm
not using it with my APP.exe.so. LD_LIBRARY_PATH is searched first on my
system.

Anyway, is the next step that I (or Hin-Tak) submit a patch and you
bless it or not?

- mo

PS: LD_LIBRARY_PATH behavior with my .exe.so shows that LD_LIBRARY_PATH
can jump in front of even /lib...

[most at Deceptor make]$ ldd wine-debug/host-engine.exe.so
         libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7b9b000)
         <snip>
[most at Deceptor make]$ ls /lib/libdl.so.2
/lib/libdl.so.2
[most at Deceptor make]$ touch libdl.so.2
[most at Deceptor make]$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` ldd
wine-debug/host-engine.exe.so
/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries:
/home/most/Desktop/cvs/muse/applications/host-engine/make/libdl.so.2:
file too short