WINEDLLPATH and /usr/lib/wine

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Wed Jan 27 14:24:00 CST 2010

Michael Ost <most at> writes:

> I'm not replacing a builtin. I install in /usr/lib/wine so
> all users from any .wine directory can launch it with a script that
> contains 'exec wine APP.exe'. I'm mimicking how, say, regedit works.
> During development I want to run a development-local in
> place of the version installed in /usr/lib/wine. 'WINEDLLPATH=/DEVDIR
> wine APP.exe' was my solution.

If it's just for development I don't think this justifies changing
it. You could simply use your own Wine build and then it will ignore the
one in /usr/lib/wine, or configure a drive for your development dir.

> PS: Did you know that currently the search path is (mysteriously)
> /usr/lib/wine:WINEDLLPATH:/usr/lib/wine? That doesn't look intentional
> to me...

The first one is not /usr/lib/wine, it's wherever the Wine install has
been relocated too. That's how rpath works, and it's very much

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at