Student Interested in Google Summer of Code 2010

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at
Fri Jan 29 13:44:44 CST 2010

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Austin English wrote:
> Right. But it's a bug in the sense that FreeBSD is shipping an
> _extremely_ old version of flex ;-).

> Can you put in a request to update flex for FreeBSD 8.1/9.0? Or
> should I register/file a bug?

Filing a request is fine, if you want to do so.  Just don't hold
your breath, there is a lot of FUD around GPLv3 in BSD-land¹ and
anything with a GPLv3 license in the base system will need core
(team) approval and a heck of a lot of a reason.

¹ Personally I do agree that GPLv3 was not very helpful, alas it's
not the end of the world, either.