one more legal/protocol question

Misha Koshelev misha680 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 21:41:25 CDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 19:08 -0700, Juan Lang wrote:
> > My question:
> > Can I simply
> > 1) look at the relevant DirectX 9 Microsoft .h files and add the
> > constants (rewriting of course not copy paste) from there?
>
> I believe you can.
>
> > 2) do I have to do something more complicated?
>
> No, I don't think so.
>
> There are legal precedents if you like, e.g. the Microsoft/Lotus
> trial, but IANAL, so I don't think citing them would be much help.
> Reading publicly available header files and recreating them is what
> we've done, so you should be safe doing so as well.
> --Juan

Thank you. Onwards then with this approach.

Interestingly MSDN has some quite interesting typos:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb205370%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

specifically, LPD3DXMESH is indeed defined in the header file as an
ID3DXMesh * and _not_ a pointer to the enumeration.

Oh well, go figure.

Thanks guys!

Misha

p.s. You guys work too hard! I hope Codeweavers gives you a nice
break... or overtime ;)