git rebase to _insert_ commits?

David Hedberg david.hedberg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 22:33:59 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 2:54 AM, Misha Koshelev <misha680 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All:
>
> I am still learning git and it seems that my solution does not quite
> work.
>
> Specifically, my idea was to use:
> git rebase -i upstream/master
>
> Mark the commit _after_ which I'd like to insert a commit with edit.
>
> Then, when I am at that commit, I do:
>
> git commit --amend -a
>
> save commit
>
> Then, _before_ doing git rebase --continue, I edit files and again do:
>
> git commit -a -n
>
> Finally I do:
>
> git rebase --continue
>
> The problem is that this seems to squish further commits, and leads to
> problems which I am now trying to untangle.
>
> However, as I still cannot insert a commit, I am not sure how to
> proceed, except by creating a whole new repository.
>
> Any ideas/hints?

I might have misunderstood what you want to do, but you should be able
to simply mark the commit _before_ for editing, make any changes and
commit them normally (without using --amend) before finally doing a
rebase --continue. This should insert a new commit with your changes
right after the one you marked "edit".

Another thing I've found helpful is rebase --abort :-)

> Thank you
> Misha

David