dlls/ntdll/file.c: Use FIXME_ONCE for quieter reports.

Max TenEyck Woodbury max at mtew.isa-geek.net
Thu Jul 15 02:02:06 CDT 2010

On 07/15/2010 01:13 AM, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> Max TenEyck Woodbury<max at mtew.isa-geek.net>  wrote:
>
>> I may be new to Wine, but I have a substantial amount of experience
>> designing, writing and fixing code. I learned programming by fixing my
>> fathers code. I more than understand and accept your desire to decide
>> that '_ONCE' is appropriate in special situations but there are many
>> situations where the need for '_ONCE' is obvious. The changes I have
>> made are of that type, at least in my opinion.
>
> It's better to spend time by implementing missing features and effectively
> removing those FIXMEs instead of inventing new ways to disable output.
> As been said if too much FIXME messages hurts your eyes just use '-all'.
> That bug should be closed as wontfix if not as inavlid.

Thank you for your opinion. In order to actually implement the
features, I have to have good descriptions of what those features are,
which was the reason I started the API documentation pages on the wiki.
Since things are at an impasse on that front, I have time to work on
less critical things. I've done a fair amount with debugging frameworks
in the past, so I think I can make useful contributions in that area.

I am aware of the '-all' option, but there are times when it is
inappropriate. Particularly when it comes to regression and unit tests.
It is not a matter of visual discomfort. It is a matter of signal to
noise ratios. Reducing the noise makes it easier to identify the
problems.

Each of us has strengths and weaknesses. I have some idea of my own but
I am loath to try to prescribe for others. On a project the size of
wine, the diversity of talents available is a great positive. Let's not
screw things up by trying to dictate what others should or should not
do.

If I am not mistaken, Alexandre is the one who decides what gets fixed.
I observe that some movement has already taken place with respect to
bug 15345. In reviewing the various files, some patching has already
been done, so 'WONTFIX' is not really an option. How much more should
be done is another question of course. It will be answered by people
who are willing to do the work and by Alexandre.