ddraw: Allow creating back buffer for pre-DirectX 7 interfaces.

Oldřich Jedlička oldium.pro at seznam.cz
Tue Jul 20 14:23:21 CDT 2010

Hi Stefan,

On Tuesday 20 July 2010 00:01:13 Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Am 19.07.2010 um 21:24 schrieb Oldřich Jedlička:
> > Hi Stefan,
> >
> > On Monday 19 July 2010 20:56:35 Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> >> Allowing the creation of the surface is most likely not enough, the
> >> backbuffer has to be useable after it has been created. Specifically,
> >> when the app attaches the backbuffer to the frontbuffer(assuming this
> >> works, needs a test) wined3d has to be made aware of the change -
> >> there's a SetFrontBackBuffers method in the wined3d device to
> >> reconfigure the primary swapchain.
> >
> > There is at least one game verified to work with CreateSurface method
> > that allows creation of back buffers - Bulanci (Combat Pillows, bug
> > #9008). But I have to admit that I don't know the internals of WineD3D,
> > nor DirectX.
>
> You probably get away with not dealing with AddAttachedSurface by luck.
> With the GDI 2D renderer ddraw passes the attached backbuffer explicitly
> to wined3d. With the GL renderer you may not be so lucky because it may
> render to an offscreen texture instead of the backbuffer.

I've analysed the usage by the game and read something about
AddAttachedSurface.

MSDN says that AddAttachedSurface might work, but should not be used on the
flipping chain (i.e. to attach back buffers to front buffers). Thus I think there
is no change necessary at the moment.

I've downloaded the "bulanci" game (Combat Pillows) and analysed how it is
used. The created BACKBUFFER is always Blt'ed onto the FRONTBUFFER (see
attachment), there is no call to AddAttachedSurface. I don't know if there is
any additional action (=coding) needed.

@all: Can anybody please have look at the attached log snippet if there is
something wrong? It looks to me that everything works. I've used wine with
original patch removing the backbuffer check.

Regards,
Oldrich.