How about a registry key/environment variable to disable creation of .desktop files?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Thu Jul 22 23:56:41 CDT 2010

In my automated testing I've noticed that some apps create desktop links
without asking and there's no way to avoid them.  It's a similar
situation for start menu entries.

It would be nice to be able to have an entire install fully contained in
a .wine folder that could be cleanly deleted after the test is done.
This isn't currently the case.

Would it be appropriate to have a registry key or environment variable
to disable this behavior silently?  Or is hacking scripts to delete
individual entries afterwards the right approach?

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie