wiki slightly broken still?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Jul 30 01:58:00 CDT 2010

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Dimi Paun wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 18:17 +0200, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
> > Yes, the LocalBadContent page got pretty long; I'm fairly sure it's
> > the spam checking that takes so long.
>
> I tried to empty it, and it does seem to help. However, it's not
> the only cause of the problem, it's still not fast even with an
> empty LocalBadContent.

I have a theory: did the script move the remaining files to another
directory? If not it may be that there's a fragmentation problem at the
directory level; i.e. the directory structure was grown to accomodate
32k entries, not there's only 5k entries but they are spread over the
old 32k entries leading to inefficient lookups? If so something like
this should fix it:

    mkdir newdir
    mv olddir/* newdir  # hope there's no dot file
    rmdir olddir
    mv newdir olddir

        A polar bear is a cartesian bear after a coordinate transform.