GetVolumeInformationA: please test this on MS-Windows

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Fri Jul 30 04:01:19 CDT 2010

Hi,

The binary from https://testbot.winehq.org/JobDetails.pl?Key=4014
passes all tests on native
win95
w2k SP4
wxp SR3
and inside vmware on
win98SE (Andrew Eikum)

Jeff Zaroyko writes:
>I ran your test binary in my MinGW shell  (as part
>of msysgit)  under Windows Vista SP2 32bit.

I can imagine two possible reasons why it fails on your Vista machine
a) Testbot's mingw compiled binary running in the mingw shell may
   behave differently than a native bin in a native shell.

b) SetEnvironmentVariable("=C:",path) is not usable on/since(?) Vista
   to modify the per-drive default directory and hence does not manage
   to establish the precondition needed for the test.

Do you get different results when doing the following:
# assuming C: is where %WINDOWSDIR% resides
C:
cd \
X:    # which dir on X should not matter
Y:\path\to\kernel32_test.exe volume
C:
cd \windows
X:
Y:\path\to\kernel32_test.exe volume
# X: must not be C:; Y: can be any drive

For completion, you could check whether you get different results when
invoking the test.exe with current directory
a) C:\          # many GetVolumeInfo tests are skipped
b) C:\windows   # dito
c) X:\          with \windows as CD on C:
d) X:\anysubdir with \windows as CD on C:
e) X:\anysubdir with \ as CD on C:
f) X:\          with \ as CD on C:
I think that if SetEnv has no effect you'll get different failures.

I.e. this batch file
C:
CD \
Y:\path\to\kernel32_test.exe volume