d3dx9: D3DXCreateMeshFVF

Misha Koshelev misha680 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 10:36:54 CDT 2010

"Misha Koshelev" <misha680 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Instead of implementing D3DXCreateMeshFVF, wouldn't it be better to
>> implement D3DXCreateMesh and call the latter from D3DXCreateMeshFVF by
>> previously using D3DXDeclaratorFromFVF?
>> D3DXCreateMeshFVF would be pretty straight then:
>> 1. get the const LPD3DVERTEXELEMENT9 *pDeclaration from the supplied FVF
>> 2. call D3DXCreateMesh
>> BTW, D3DXGetFVFVertexSize could then also be forwarded to
>> D3DXGetDeclVertexSize and the code simplified.
>Thank you
>Thank you. Yes indeed this is the approach that has been recommended by Henri Verbeet as well.
>Specifically, after the D3DXCreateSphere patch (in some form) is applied to git:
>You can see two patches for tests here:
>The only caveat is that we must first implement D3DXFVFFromDeclarator at the very least, as the
>CreateIndexBuffer call must be (to my understanding) supplied an FVF.
>Thank you

Fyi, I am currently taking a break from working on these patches as I feel like it may take some more time to get the D3DXCreateSphere tests into git given that it has been through so many tries.

However, I hope that once this hurdle has passed I can once again continue to work on these implementations at full speed.

Thank you