bricscad goes native

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Wed Jun 2 04:06:28 CDT 2010

On 05/26/2010 12:17 AM, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
>
>> I believe a reasonable alternative is to communicate directly with the
>> distro Wine packager and have them test your app against whatever
>> version of Wine they plan on shipping.  That way you don't miss out on
>> good changes in Wine either.
>
> That's unreasonable to put the testing burden of a commercial application
> to a 3rd party that's not a part of QA or a support team. Obviosuly you can't
> test all the aspects of the application, or even don't know how to do that,
> or testing requires additional data or tools.

The idea is for the distro to become part of the QA process itself.  By
being forward about what version of Wine to ship (eg only the stable
releases) the vendor can greatly narrow their testing focus.  If
multiple distros are using the same stable Wine version, that testing
burden gets shared -- assuming the vendor even cares about more than a
couple distros.

This is, of course, assuming it's reasonable to stick to Wine's stable
releases.  That's only useful if they're relatively frequent - a year
and a half was a bit too much time.

I'm also, of course, assuming a distro that actively cares about Wine
enough to devote some sort of QA resources towards it.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie