WINE and demoscene products

Wolfram Sang wolfram at the-dreams.de
Sat Jun 12 04:13:21 CDT 2010

On 12/06/10 08:37, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Yeah, that's pretty cool.  I ran Lifeforce as a demo at several talks
> last year, it was very convincing.  (Although, frankly, running

Cool.

> retail DVD-ROM games on day of beta or release is an even more
> convincing feat if we can pull it off.)

Sure thing - for marketing, games are probably more convincing. For
testing though, demos might be quite useful as they are easier to get.

> As somebody else pointed out, there are already appdb entries for

That somebody was me ;)

> (I'm not sure how much overlap there is between demos and
> real games, but the idea of a really small graphical app is
> appealing, one would expect they'd be easier to diagnose?)

Well... can't tell about the overlap. A few of the creators work in the
game-buisness, though. And while not all demos are small, the small ones
(in size, like 4k) often do nasty tricks to achieve their mission; I have
no experience if that makes them harder to debug in reality. Still, there
is one major advantage: Most people do talk about their code if asked. So
maybe they could point to potential issues or alike.

Regards,

   Wolfram