avifil32: Update English resource

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Tue Jun 15 14:26:48 CDT 2010

On 06/15/2010 08:53 PM, Ken Sharp wrote:

> On 15/06/10 10:28, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
>
>> That's just an artifact of how the translation statistics tool works.
>> But Wine will use LANG_ENGLISH SUBLANG_DEFAULT if there is no
>> SUBLANG_NEUTRAL translation. Duplicating unneeded resources makes them
>> prone for bitrotting.
>>

> I was told that US English = Default and British English = Neutral, and
> that all the other English sublangs pick up Neutral except en_US.
>
> So, are you saying what actually happens is that it first looks for
> NEUTRAL, and if it doesn't find that it looks for DEFAULT? And that
> NEUTRAL should be British English? If so, why is there a DEFAULT at all?
I was saying that LANG_ENGLISH SUBLANG_DEFAULT is special aka the
ultimate fallback for *all* other languages. So if a resource isn't
available in a language (neither in the country specific sublang nor in
the neutral sublang) it will eventually fall back to LANG_ENGLISH
SUBLANG_DEFAULT. That includes also the other English sublangs; thus
there is no point in duplicating the LANG_ENGLISH SUBLANG_DEFAULT
resources in LANG_ENGLISH SUBLANG_NEUTRAL as the result is the exact
same, achieved with less code.

> I wondered why there was also a ENGLISH_US in kernel32/nls.
The NLS files are not really a translation, they are the "localization"
part even though they do contain some translations.

> If it actually looks for NEUTRAL first it would save a lot of
> duplication and would make the translations easier.
>
> Hope that makes sense.
Not really. Please have a look at http://wiki.winehq.org/SublangNeutral
it describes how the fallback works in Windows. Why they did it that way
you probably have to ask them; Wine just has to follow it.

bye
	michael