PGO and wine

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Wed Jun 16 20:00:04 CDT 2010

On 06/16/2010 09:58 AM, Austin English wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Reece Dunn <msclrhd at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Probably, to test it I need a program that runs wine like a typical
>>> program, that I can run autonomously. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> We could see if using Firefox or Chrome on some sites and benchmarks
>> helps boost its performance when using a PGO version of Wine.
>>
>> We could also try out some games (stressing the D3D/DirectDraw logic)
>> to see if the framerate improves.
>
> Using Dan's yagmark would be good for this task:
> http://wiki.winehq.org/yagmark

By the way the profiling data is plain text and can be stored inside the
debian/ folder when making an Ubuntu package.  I imagine something
similar can be done for other package systems as well.

An alternative approach is to generate the profiling data at package
build time using a sort of "make profiledbuild" and giving it a script
such as yagmark.  This is more or less what Mozilla does, except it was
broken on Linux until recently and still isn't included in the Ubuntu
packages...

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie