gnome-exe-thumbnailer -- using embedded icons for .exe and .dll files

Scott Ritchie scott at
Thu Jun 17 19:55:57 CDT 2010

Screenshot/blog here:

A bug was fixed recently in Gnome that allows thumbnailers to not be
96x96 pixels.  Combine this with a standard Wine icon, icoutils for
extracting an exe/dll's embedded icon, and a bit of magic and you can
get icons like those above.

The version numbers come from the .exe metadata.  I think it's really
slick, and will try and have it installed by default with Wine 1.2.  At
the moment it exists as thumbnailer code for Gnome, which means other
desktops won't benefit, however provided they can be told to run a
script to generate an icon it should be fairly easy to port.

Code is available in the gnome-exe-thumbnailer source package here:

Please note that this is an updated version of the proof of concept
gnome-exe-thumbnailer package I put in Lucid (which is ugly and uses the
overly large 96x96 icons, and is thus not default and has so far gone

Scott Ritchie