Speed/latency issues for development in a Wine environment

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 20:00:33 CDT 2010

On 18 June 2010 20:12, Alan W. Irwin <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:

> That would be a most interesting comparison.  In computer terms 150 ms is an
> absolutely enormous time that allows something like 150 million (!)
> operations to occur on modern PC's.  So I would be surprised if Microsoft
> Windows required that long to start up applications.

Creating processes on Windows is *expensive*. Do a
"./configure;make;make install" natively in Cygwin for any piece of
open source software and you'll be amazed how slow ./configure is to
run. This is because ./configure works by making a source code file,
compiling it in gcc and then running the resultant binary; this is
easy on a Unix, very laborious on Windows.

So I don't know, but I would be unsurprised if it's Wine doing all the
stuff it has to do to pretend to be Windows.

Cygwin runs under Wine. How does ./configure for a given program
running on Cygwin on Wine compare to ./configure for the same program
running on Cygwin on Windows on the same hardware?

- d.