new winetricks 20100618: new verbs dxsdk_nov2006, windowscodecs

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 09:39:57 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Nikolay Sivov <nsivov at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> On 6/19/2010 18:25, Vincent Povirk wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible to add this in existing target d3dx dll that will be using
>>> new decoder?
>>>

>> Yes, but they'll have to share the decoder for the DDS format somehow.
>> It doesn't make much sense for d3dx9 to load d3dx11 for this.
>>

> If native d3dx11 uses d3dx9 for that it's not a problem, cause this will be
> still separated and both overrides will work.
> If not - it's sad, additional winetricks re-registration will be needed,
> etc. And if our windowscodecs is complete enough
> we should probably forget about all of that and never use its override.

Well, we need to register a decoder coclass to do this most cleanly,
using WIC's built-in image format detection. These classes aren't
present on any native dll's. Even if we didn't use a coclass, we'd
need some sort of extension to a builtin dll. Most of the extra
formats are only needed by d3dx9 (it seems native d3dx10 and d3dx11
use WIC, so they mostly support the WIC formats).

DDS, however, can be loaded in d3dx9, d3dx10, and d3dx11. If we put a
coclass for DDS in one of these dll's, the other two will have to load
it when a program needs to read a DDS file.