Porting Applications

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 21:26:02 CDT 2010

Hi,

It is certainly nice that a company offers support for this. Last year
I did something even cooler and it doesn't require much effort. I used
Visual Studio itself to remotely debug on Wine.

I'm not sure if I used native dbghelp.dll or not (I think I didn't use
it). The only thing I needed for it to be useful was a debug build of
the app (+debugging visual c++ runtime libs). The only thing I had to
do was to launch some remote debugging utility, 'msvcmon' in Wine and
after that I had to fire up the app. After that I was able to connect
to 'Wine' using Visual C++ on Windows and I was able to set break
points and so on. It worked really well.

Roderick