Addition of En resources to non-En resources

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Fri Jun 25 04:04:14 CDT 2010

Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:

> Requiring that translators master both skills severly limits the pool of
> translators we can draw from.

Doesn't this sound similar to so called limitation that exists for people
willing to work on Wine code, but have no appropriate skills? I.e. there is
always a choice between quality and quantity.

> Introducing po files lets us treat each
> task independently and leverage all the online po translation tools.
>
> We will still need people to take on the somwhat unsexy control resizing
> task and that may be a problem. If it turns out we lack volunteers for
> that we may turn to some automatic layout scheme, for instance describe
> the resources in a glade-like language and translate+convert them to rc
> files at build time.

Sounds not very exciting. If there is a choice of having resources with properly
placed and sized controls but english only, vs. translated but with broken layout
ones, then I'm afraid most users would prefer an english variant.

> > I was replying to a comment saying basically "me too" which the sender
> > tends to reply to almost every message.
>
> The sender is excited by the prospect of rc files being used for
> translating Wine resources and that's pretty understandable. I am too!

Good to know.

--
Dmitry.